Alice In Wonderland

Okay so its time for my second review.  I must admit, I feel like I probably should not be writing about this movie simply because I haven't been able to see it in 3-D yet (though I am planning to).  Still, seeing it as a good old fashioned 2 dimensional film was just fine with me.

To begin, I must say that I am probably rather biased because I'm a fan of Tim Burton.  Anyone who knows me could probably guess that the whole fun gothic feel of his movies is appealing to me.  I really haven't seen any movie of his that I didn't feel was beautiful and well crafted, and I love the odd spin he throws on his films.

Alice In Wonderland was probably his biggest undertaking because he chose to remake a classic animated Disney movie and create a movie based on the books by Lewis Carroll.  Anytime this happens, long-time fans are always ready to point fingers saying that the film does the original no justice.  In addition, the hype around the movie was enormous.  It was impossible not to know that it would be hitting theatres.

After ranting about wanting to see that movie for almost a year, I was finally able to go see it a few weeks ago.  I was not dissapointed.  I thought it was visually stunning (though admittedly would have been better in 3-D), and had a very interesting story line.  Tim Burton's best decision was to make the movie about Alice's return to Wonderland, and not have it be a replica of the original.

The characters were very loveable, and it seems like the Mad Hatter would not have been the same if not for Johnny Depp.  He was able to bring a believable insanity to the role, while still making the character oddly adorable and funny.  It seems like no other actor could have portrayed it the same way.  The design for the Cheshire Cat was perfect, and was able to make the CGI cat seem extremely creepy and less funny (like in the orignal).

I do however, have some complaints.  Because of the nature of 3-D, the sets were completely computerized.  I tend to appreciate movies that still use some actaul sets, and while watching the film you are very aware that nothing you are seeing is real.  If I was able to see it in 3-D, I'm sure I would not have this complaint though.  Also, I felt that the introduction was somewhat weak, and it doesn't start being interesting until she gets to Wonderland.

The message in this movie is about allowing yourself to dream.  I guess this struck a chord with me because I do tend to live in a fantasy world, which is not usually a good thing.  I felt that the story about Alice allowing herself to dream and believe the things she makes up in her head was very real.  Its a problem I think lots of people have to deal with, because that way of thinking really is not looked at kindly.  Its hard for me to not have my head in the clouds, but after seeing this movie, I felt better about my thought processes.

All in all, I definitly think this movie lives up to the hype and I suggest everyone sees it.  Do it.  Do it now damn it.

2 comments:

Joe Luzzi said...

Omg i can't believe i havent seen this yet. And my blog about the floods was EPIC fail cuz I'm so damn tired so i'll do it tomorrow morning... and probably about something different.

I would go crazzzyyy if not one of the scenes were real i hate green screen effects cuz they are so obvious and its like... i could just watch a cartoon. But still i wanna see it

jalyssacakex said...

"but old fashioned two dimensional was fine with me" lmaooo your so funny you know when you know a person and you can tell exactly how they say something out loud..hahaha yeah. WELL...I really really want to see Alice in Wonderland..Lucky duck!!!! 3D scares me anyways..my first 3d movie was in Disney and their were like fake rats on the floor.. lmao.
xoxoxo Jenna