The Dead Girl

This post is rather delayed, but I thought it would be interesting to write a review about a movie I watched over spring break. In fact, I'm thinking about shifting this whole blog thingamajig over to reviewing books and movies, simply to give it a more clear purpose. This review will be something of a practice and critisism would be appreciated. I will still be posting little thoughts that pop into my mind now and again though...

So to begin, the film is called The Dead Girl, and included in it's cast is the late Brittany Murphy.  Her character, though the most important, actually appears in the movie very little - yet makes an unforgettable impact on the viewer.  Arguably her most dimented role, Murphy seems to perfectly embody the distraught girl who has clearly thrown up her arms and given up on life.  Seeing the movie now, after her unfortunate death, I cannot help but see this role as an eery premonition of her eventual demise.  This role, along with her portrayal of Daisy in Girl, Interrupted, seem to be played too perfectly, almost as if to say that there was no acting involved.  Her character of Krista in The Dead Girl may be one of her least known roles, but definitly one of her strongest.

The movie opens with a body being found in the middle of a field, and then follows the life of seven people and how they are affected by this discovery.  Most of the stories are not related and alter the lives of those involved very differently.  Each cast member gives a heartfelt performance, and each line is delivered in a way that truly moves the viewer.

What I enjoyed most about this movie was its ability to humanize a character that most people would look at in shame.  By the end of the movie you do not see the dead girl as being a murdered prostitute, but a girl who has a big heart and a hard life.  I think its a lesson that we all can learn from, because too often we simply shake our heads and move on when seeing these types of people. It is important to remember that everyone has a story, and everyone has reasons for what they do (no matter how wrong they may be).  Instead of looking down on these people, we should learn from them and try to extend a helping hand.  It is hard not to wonder how her life could have been different if someone had been willing to help.

The Dead Girl is definitly a movie I suggest people view, although I will caution you - it is very depressing.  If you are in the mood for a light hearted feel good film, this is not for you.  However, if you are feeling deep and contemplative and are in the mood for a thinking movie, The Dead Girl is definitly worth your time.

6 comments:

jalyssacakex said...

Ughhhh it is so creepy how Brittany Murphy died...I really want to see this movie now because I'm curious to see for myself what kind of role she played in it, whenever I think of Brittany Murphy I think of the movie Just Married, I don't think she ever got big roles in Hollywood, do you?
xxoxoxoxox
Jenna

Joe Luzzi said...

Okay first of all I would have to critisize that you failed to mention Brittany Murphy's most powerful role as Tai, Cher's best friend in Clueless (DUH), in this blog. The fuck u thinkin? haha kiddin. So yeah lets watch this movie because I'm in the mood for a movie that encourages open mindedness.

Also I'm still very dissapointed she is dead. I care more that she is dead than michael jackson.

Sam said...

I am too. I really liked her alot and she was kinda the only celebrity death that made me stop and feel sad. Maybe we can watch it this weekend. And if not you can borrow it.

Sam said...

And when I think of her I always think of Daisy from Girl, Interrupted. This one may be taking over though, just because it was such a beleivable role.

jalyssacakex said...

Sam, Joe used powerful role and Clueless in the same sentence. lmao. =) Clueless was such a captivating and poignant tv series.

Debbie said...

i loved this movie. sooo much!