i can never sleep


Its 12:35 right now and I just got out of bed because I've been laying there for about 45 minutes. Normally I don't go to sleep that early, but I do have classes tomorrow at 9:30, and I do tend to have a bad day if I don't sleep enough, and that class does tend to put me to sleep if I'm the tiniest bit tired...so I really should be sleeping right now. But I just can't do it. I've come to the conclusion that unless I just can't keep my eyes open anymore I shouldn't bother laying down with the lights off. I mean, whats the point? I'm not going to fall asleep anyway. I'll just lay there thinking about something random. And that random thought will lead to another random thought. And that will lead to another. And that will lead to a random memory. And that memory will lead to another memory. And THAT memory will lead to ANOTHER memory, and ineveitably I will end up remembering something that really made me pissed and I will lay in bed tossing and turning and getting annoyed at something that happened months or even years ago. Man! I really have to learn to let go....

ANYWAY. Back to what I was saying, I can't sleep. Its still somewhat early for me, especially when you consider that if I did not have school I would most likely be going to sleep at 3 in the morning. But right now, I have a reason why I need to fall asleep, and I can't. I have been having these problems for quite some time now, and I have asked many people for their advice. Here are the most commen responces I recieve:

1. Count Sheep.
Tried it. And that would be a great idea. But see, I already explained to you that my mind wanders and I can't focus on any one thought. Therefore counting sheep doesn't work for me because trying to think about those cute fluffy animals jumping over a cute wooden fence just leads me somewhere else, and before you know it I'm wondering why that really arrogent girl in my career seminar class can't get over herself. (Or something of that nature.)

2. Drink some warm milk.
No, it tastes like shit. And why would that even help?

3. Relax. Just don't think about anything.
Obviously I would have done that already if I was able to smartass.

4. Watch a few minutes of TV.
Okay, this one actually did work for a while. I would just turn it on and usually some informercial would be playing. It would be telling me how my life would be totally transformed if I bought a Chia Pet, or that I could go from a fat miserable person who doesn't photograph well to a slow motion hottie walking out of a pool in just 3 weeks with 30 easy payments of $19.95!!! After watching these mindless advertisemesnts I would just turn off the TV and bam! Out like a light. But now? Nothing. If anything I lay there for hours wondering if I really should call that number for free information with no obligation...

5. Ask the doctor about sleeping pills.
I do not want to do this. Most sleep pills are habit forming, and I do not want to be on them my whole life. Plus, there have been tons of people who accidentally become addicted to them and they end up in rehab with all the crack heads and meth freaks. It may seem irrational, but I just don't want to take that chance.

...any other suggestions?

So the thing I will leave you with before I try yet again to fall asleep, is something I found on YouTube and I just wanted to share. These Tales of Mere Existence videos are priceless. I get the feeling that everyone already knew about these and I'm just behind the times, but whatever.






3 comments:

Debbie said...

Omg I'm sitting in a library and I'm trying to contain my laughter. Your responses to all the advice to sleep is hilarioussss. hahah.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie said...

I'm sorry about your difficulty sleeping by the way... :( I have no advice because I decide to fall asleep only when I'm tired.