a pointless memoir of my terrible morning

So this morning I'm in bed, fast asleep. Suddenly, theres a blaring noise in my ear: the fire alarm was going off. I  immediatly looked at the clock and saw that it was 3:55 in the morning. Lovely!

So I get out of bed and throw on a sweatshirt, put my hair up, and throw on some flip flops. I went outside my room and went down the stairs near my door (I found out later that if I had turned the corner I would have been able to see why the alarm was going off). When I got to the bottom of the stairs I made my way to the grass in front of my residence hall. First thing I say is a few hundred half asleep, messy haired, severely pissed off 18 year olds about to flip out over being woken up in such a way at that hour.

We ended up waiting out there for a good....40 minutes or so? It was freezing and I didn't have my phone, plus the lights frfom the fire trucks were in my eyes and it was making me even more mad. When one of the officers finally came out and told us we could go inside, we were all ecstatic. I think that if we hadn't been so tired we would have started a slow clap. But then, they had one more announcement: nobody on the third floor could return to their rooms, we had to go to the quiet study lounge.

As I'm sure you can guess, it just happened to be my floor that was not allowed to go upstairs. Great! So I go into the quiet study and all the seats are already taken up and people are actually passed out asleep on the floor. They kept telling us it would only be 15 or 20 minutes. Lies. See, that makes me mad. They knew it was going to take longer, so why would they tell us that? Did they think it was going to keep us quiet or something? Would it make us feel better about being there? Absolutely not. On the contrary, it made us more pissed when we were down there much longer than we were told to expect. It took an hour before they finally let us go. In total, the whole ordeal took 2 hours. I got back in my bed around 6.

Even though this really only happened a few hours ago, I am already able to look back at it and laugh. I was having such a nice dream (which I can't remember now) and then the fire alarm has to wake me up. I considered just staying in my room. Come to find out, some people did just that. They rolled over and said screw it, put a pillow over their head, and tried to fall back asleep. Bravo to them, man.

And another thing that makes me laugh is the reason why 700 people had to be evacuated. Turns out that some (probably drunk) asshole thought it would be funny to play fire fighter and use the fire extinguisher. It happened on my floor, or course. Its just, of all the things in the world to do to amuse yourself, why - WHY that? The police officer told us to tell them if we found any information on who did it. Please, if I find that jerk I will personally kick their ass...then call.

When I am waiting outside I start think about what would happen if someone had just been in the shower. How funny would it be to see some person come running out in a towel with shampoo in their hair worked into a fine lather or something? Or did what Ferris did and do a soapy mohawk. That would bring humor to the situation.

I know this was probably not interesting to read, but I hadn't updated this in a few days and I thought maybe you would find my misfortune at 4 in the morning laughable. Probably not. But maybe.

1 comments:

Debbie said...

that sucks a lot. and that'd be really weird and funny if someone had been showering that early in the morning hahah.

i read this already and tried to comment but i had issues so i didn't send it earlier on.