books

I talk about books all the time because its hard for me not to. The books I have read have had the biggest impact on my life, easily surpassing any other form of art. I feel like almost everyone finds one type of expression that they connect to more than others. For most people it tends to be music, and probably right after that movies would take over. Both have had an impact on me. But still, nothing can get closer to my heart than reading.

Thats why I end up going on rants about books I've read recently, books I've read in the past, books I would like to read, poets who understand me, what I want to write about...etc. Often times this leads me to suggest others read what I have read, because I think its hard to not want others to share our love or interest for something.

So I suppose I'll take this time to suggest a few books that I love. The order is not necissarily which I like the best, but really more what I would want others to read most. I realize no one will read them, and that no one will care but whatever. I can live with that.

1.    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
I read this book for the first time in middle school and immediatly fell in love with it. Even though it is a Young Adult book, there is still a ton of underlying content that is somewhat beyond your years when it is read at that "teeny bopper" stage. I understood it far more when I read it for the second time years later. Since then I've reread parts of the book out of order many, many times. Its probably safe to say that I've read the entire book a third time, though out of order and focusing on parts I feel are most important (or that I enjoy reading most). It is considered science fiction, but not the way that you would expect, this is not a Treky type of book at all. Just trust me. You will like it. Everyone would like some part of this book.

2.     Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel
First I want to point out that the title of this book is not misleading. It really is depressing. But it is a great read because Elizabeth Wurtzel has the ability to put words to feelings that are nonverbal, and often times undescribeable. In my sociology class the other day we talked about how people often don't speak out about their surroundings, feelings, or opinions simply because the words to describe them are unknown. This renders them useless. By reading this book many people have been given the ability to vocalize what they have been feeling, if only by highlighting and quoting the book. Its better than nothing. Anyway, I wouldn't suggest this book to everyone but if you ever did read it just keep in mind how important it is to me.

3.     The Bus Driver Who Wanted to be God by Etgar Keret
The guy who wrote this is a highly acclaimed author that most people don't get. His style is strange and his ideas are confusing. I almost see his writing as being a peice art hanging in an exhibit that you stand back, stare at, think about, and walk away pretending that you get the intended message. Most of the time you don't. His short stories (which are rarely more than two pages) make you think. They have that impact where you tilt your head to the side and go "huh." His longest story was the basis of the movie Wristcutters. I enjoy reading his work and even if you don't it would only take you 5 minutes to read an entire story.

4.     Beautiful Boy by David Sheff and Tweak by Nic Sheff
Theres never a shortage of addiction memoirs, but these two books put it in a new light. First, David Sheff wrote the book Beautiful Boy about his son's addiction. In it, he describes in detail how his son became a meth addict. Its a new take on these memoirs because for once, its from someone's perspective other than the addict themselves. Its through the eyes of his father, who loves him more than anyone in the world. After its publication and success, Nic Sheff (the son the book is about, who, at the time, was clean) was offered a book deal himself. In Tweak, he tells the same story through his own eyes. Its an interesting concept and theres a video here that you can look at to hear it from them.





2 comments:

Debbie said...

i really need to start reading the beautiful boy. i might pick it up soon. and damn, that boy looks so young. so damn young.

Debbie said...

pick it up as in start reading. not buy. since you let me borrow it. :p